When you talk to your kid, you’re thinking like an adult… Because you ARE one. Stop, listen, feel.
I printed this sheet out and kept it in plain view for me to reference. To remind myself to be more gentle.
Use These Phrases Instead
- Tell me how you’re feeling.
- I want to understand how you’re feeling.
- I love you, even when you feel angry.
- It’s okay to feel mad.
- How can I help?
- I can see why you feel …
- It looks like you’re having a hard time. Tell me about it.
- I can imagine you feel …
- Can I give you a hug?
- Let’s take a deep breath together.
- I’m sorry for … .
- Next time, I’ll … .
- Can we start over?
- Will you forgive me?
- Will you sit next to me?
- Let’s take a break and do something fun.
- Let’s go for a walk together.